RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richard "Ditcher" Alladyce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard "Ditcher" Alladyce
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 20:02
Those who knew him will be saddened to hear that Richard Alladyce died a few days ago after along battle with cancer. He was a top plank Hornet crew  notably crewing for Jim "Oggi" Hollingsworth in 1031 El Diablo prior to Planker Jim taking over. He acquired his nickname of "Ditcher " at a championships in Holland (Muiden 67 I think) by driving his sports car straight off a bend into the dyke, notably taking the sign with him on the front of the car "Danger sharp bend , Deep water" We all pulled it out , had a few more beers and sailed the next day! Richard epitomised the hard partying Hornet sailor but he was highly competent sailor and extremely fit.
He will be missed. I will send a card both personally and on behalf of the class.
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 08:49
I am really saddened by the news of his death. 

It was Richard's "of the end of the plank" antics that got me interested in sailing and in sailing Hornets in particular. I still have a picture of him crewing for Michael Whitecross in 1072 Poiseden at the 1965 (I think) worlds in Poland. They came second behind 1055 - Pair of Wot (I think the crew were Mike Derry and Bill Barnes).

My love for using a plank continues to this day and since seeing Richard in action I have owned 1 Hornet, 1 Minisail (with seat), 1 Toy and 3 International Canoes. Which proves my point.

So farewell to the man who started it all for me, as far as sailing is concerned. 

Peter   
Southpaw
MikeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 18:19
Hi
I have just discovered the news about Richard. Sue and I are both very saddened to hear of his death, He was a great crew and very good company on a one to one basis and in crowds. We shared his Mother's Imp in the journey to Poland (in 1966, actually), through East Germany, in the depths of the Cold War - jackboots, machine guns, and sentry towers at control points, ... We were mobbed at various points on the route by Polish children who were always chorusing beeteeliees, beeteelies,  . When we got on the course for the practice we discovered why - Yellow Submarine was tannoyed all over the area. The Imp had to be pushed on and off the ferry on the way back -cracked cylinder block.
The crew who beat us, aargh!, were the peripatetic Bob Fisher and RCYC helmsman Terry Wade. Sadly, this was all pre mobiles so I have no photos of an of our exploits!

Best wished to any Horneteers

Mike Whitecross
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic